Historical Trnava University (TU) represents one of the oldest universities in Slovakia. Trnava University was established by Cardinal Peter Pázmaň in 1635 and consisted of four faculties (colleges) of: theology, arts, law and medicine. The university became well-known also thanks to an observatory founded by Maximilián Hell, a university library, gardens and a theatre. It existed for 142 years and in 1777, it was moved to Buda.
The National Council of the Slovak Republic re-established Trnava University on March 25, 1992 pursuant to Act No. 191/1992 and reopened it on July 1, 1992.
The Academic Senate of Trnava University founded the Faculty of Humanities (FH) and Faculty of Education (PdF) on September 1, 1992.
The Faculty of Nursing Care and Social Work (FOSP) was established in 1994. However, it was renamed to the Faculty of Health Care and Social Work in 1998.
The Pedagogical Institute of St. Andrew in Ružomberok joined Trnava University as well and in the academic year 1996/97, Catechetical Pedagogical Faculty of St. Andrew in Ružomberok was established from it. Since November 1, 1997, this faculty has become a part of the University of Žilina in Žilina.
The Theological Institute of Saint Aloysius, Society of Jesus (founded by Trnava University Rector on September 1, 1994) joined Trnava University and the Faculty of Theology of Trnava University with its seat in Bratislava was established from it on October 23, 1997.
The Faculty of Law of Trnava University was established on October 1, 1998. Prof. RNDr. Anton Hajduk, DrSc. (May 15, 1992 – October 21, 1996) became the first rector of the reopened Trnava University. The present rector is Prof. PaedDr. René Bílik, CSc.
Trnava University professes principles of the Great Charter of European Universities protecting complete independence of universities from the political and economic power and their freedom to perform research and education.
Trnava University advocates Christian principles, wants to protect moral and spiritual values, provide education in the spirit of ecumenism, cooperate with universities, pedagogical and scientific institutes in the Slovak Republic and abroad. It has established contacts not only with universities in the Slovak Republic but as well with 13 universities abroad (in Czech Republic, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Sweden, USA, Poland and Hungary) and built cooperation with them at a good level.